Eschatology is the study of Biblical Prophecy and the development of World History and Politics concluding with the Final State of Man’s existence. This study is one of the most influential set of ideas on the face of the Earth and seeing there is so much confusion and error regarding this subject, which said errors have devastating consequences to society and world politics in general, I am now compelled to give a complete consideration on this topic.
I have steered away from these issues for a while because of some problems in my own understanding of these things but with the help of a few brilliant men, Edward Bishop Elliott, Sir Isaac Newton, Francis Nigel Lee, J Parnell McCarter, Don Preston and Joshua Poore, I now feel comfortable constructing a complete Eschatological Platform for our new nation to guide us in the years to come.
What is Historicism? Historicism is the eschatology and the understanding of prophecy developed in the Protestant Reformation. Steve Gregg states in his well known work Revelation: Four Views,
“an abbreviated list of the luminaries of the past who took this view would have to include John Wycliffe, John Knox, William Tyndale, Martin Luther, John Calvin, Ulrich Zwingli, Philip Melanchthon, Sir Isaac Newton, Jan Huss, John Foxe, John Wesley, Jonathan Edwards, George Whitfield” (pg. 34)
The quotation keeps going but I thought that part would be enough to solidify that if anyone rejects Historicism they have effectively rejected the Protestant Reformation.
Historicism sees the book of Revelation as a symbolic explanation of Church History from the first century all the way to the Second Coming of Messiah and the Final State with the main theme being the true congregation’s fight and ultimate victory over the Roman Papacy. Some of the more essential tenants of Historicism are the following:
- That the Roman Papacy is the Antichrist.
- The fulfillment of the Seventy Weeks Prophecy in the first Century.
- The Day-Year Principle
- That the Great Tribulation and the fulfillment of Yeshua’s prophecies in Matthew 24 were fulfilled in 70 A.D. with the destruction of Jerusalem.
- That the Whore and the Great City is the Roman Papacy
- That the end of the Levitical priesthood, the divorce of Ethnic Israel for the rejection of Messiah and thus the conditionality and termination of the Temple promised to the Jews in Ezekiel.
- That the kingdom of Elohim is not a rebuilt Jewish theocracy but a spiritual kingdom of the elect of both Jews and Gentiles around the world.(Calvinism necessarily inferred)
- That just as the symbology in Daniel had literal historic fulfillment so shall the book of Revelation.
- The date of authorship to Revelation can be either an early Pre-70 A.D. or a later date. (I personally hold to an early date due to my view of the Seventy Weeks prophecy)
Historicists range in their views of the millennium from Post-Mil, A-Mil and Historical Pre-Mil(Not to be confused with Dispensational Pre-Mil). I am messianic and so I have made some additions to this being that avoiding the Levitical feasts is an ipso facto admission of full Preterism; an argument I put to Ken Gentry himself who was unable to answer me.
In conclusion, the Historicist view of Prophecy bore the fruit of the Protestant Reformation, the development of modern Science and Technology, the most Enlightened, Powerful and Educated countries to ever exist comprehending the British Empire and creation of America from the 17th to the beginning of the 20th Century.
The Historicist position stands in contrast to the Futurist Scheme and the Preterist Scheme.
The Futurist eschatology sees the book of Revelation as mostly to be fulfilled in the Future. This is so because of the historic Ebionite foundations of this scheme. The Ebionites were one of the original Jewish messianic sects who rejected Paul and most of the New Testament as a gross Roman conspiracy against the Jewish people to supplant them under Greco-Roman hegemony. And thus the last 2000 years have been pretty much a waste of time with the creator standing idly by while this Greco-Roman conspiracy fulfills its dominance over the Earth. Strangely, this scheme was popularized again during the Reformation period by a Jesuit Priest named, Francisco Ribera who did so specifically to reject the notion that the Papacy was the Antichrist. This scheme generally supplants New Testament Hermeneutics to the emotions of Jews reading the Prophets and what was promised in those books completely ignoring the rights of the Creator to judge the Jews for their sins. This scheme is so popular today due to the rising influence of the Jewish state since 1947. Some of the more essential tenants of Futurism are the following:
- That the Antichrist is not the Papacy but a singular figure in the future yet to be seen.
- The fulfillment of the Seventy Weeks Prophecy will also be future with the last week to commence during the future Great Tribulation.
- That the Whore of Babylon is a literal rebuilt Babylon.
- That the Levitical priesthood is not ended, the book of Hebrews is wrong, Jewish emotions are right;
- The the Jews were never divorced or cut off from the kingdom as Jesus says in Mat. 21: 43-45; Jesus is wrong, Jewish emotions are right.
- The Jews can do nothing wrong and as a matter of fact the Jews are the real martyrs, not Jesus and thus Ezekiel’s Temple is going to be rebuilt and the Levitical priesthood and all the Old Testament shadows will be restored.
- That the kingdom of Elohim is a rebuilt Jewish theocracy not a spiritual kingdom of the elect, where Gentile peoples serve as the slaves of the Jews who hate them. (Ebionite Pelagianism implied.)
- All prophecy is to be taken literally without exception.
- The date of authorship to Revelation is the later date of 96 A.D.
- Two literal bodily resurrections.
The fruits of this scheme have been an absolute disaster for our people. This scheme has compelled our people to let the wicked rule over them since Jesus isn’t king and his mission failed and has been postponed for the future, we thus have no right to enforce the laws of God upon man. Moreover, there is no need to polish the brass on a sinking ship.
The Preterist eschatology sees the book of Revelation as mostly fulfilled in the first century with the destruction of Jerusalem. And just like the Futurist approach the Preterist scheme was originated by the Jesuit Priest Luis De Alcazar, again to attack the Protestant view that the Papacy was the Antichrist. This view is taken primarily to buttress the idea that the New Testament is a radically different religion than the Old Testament as to avoid the Mosaic Law completely. The influence of Platonism seems undeniable as the fulfillments of prophecy become abstract or spiritual realities rather than actual literal historical events. Thus, the primary tenants of this scheme are listed on the preteristarchive website:
“All Bible Prophecy was Fulfilled By AD70
Atonement Incomplete at Cross ; Complete at AD70
The Supernatural Power of Evil Ended in AD70
The Spirit of Antichrist was Destroyed in AD70
“The Consummation of the Ages” Came in AD70
“The Millennium” is in the Past, From AD30 to AD70
Nothing to be Resurrected From in Post AD70 World ; Hades Destroyed
The Christian Age Began in AD70 ; Earth Will Never End
“The Day of the Lord” was Israel’s Destruction ending in AD70
The “Second Coming” of Jesus Christ Took Place in AD70-ish
The Great Judgment took place in AD70 ; No Future Judgment
The Law, Death, Sin, Devil, Hades, etc. Utterly Defeated in AD70
“The Resurrection” of the Dead and Living is Past, Having Taken Place in AD70
The Context of the Entire Bible is Pre-AD70 ; Not Written To Post AD70 World”
As the reader can see then the Preterist scheme takes a Pre-70 A.D. date to the book of Revelation. Sadly, there is a group of extremely dishonest men who claim one can take a Partial-Preterist scheme to Revelation where most of the book is fulfilled in 70 A.D. except the Second Coming. The problem with this approach is that the very basis of this view, the language of urgency in Revelation is also used of Yeshua’s Second Coming where he says, Rev. 22:7 “And behold, I am coming quickly.” Many who espouse this view maintain we are living in a restored Pre-Fall, Edenic state and thus they refuse to eat meat and some more consistent and honest refuse to wear clothes. The nudist tendencies to this scheme are extremely ironic when you take into account many of them believe masturbation and any sexual tendencies to be immoral.
This scheme really has no power in its full and consistent form. The only men that believe this scheme that have any influence are Partial-Preterists and many of them are up and coming Theonomists who are trying to fight against the disaster of Baptist Futurism. While these men have utterly failed to conquer the wiles of the Jesuits and refuse to point the finger in the right direction, they maintain, in some integrity, that they have not achieved enough power to be judged for their fruits as yet. I would maintain their Libertarianism is proof enough of their utter degeneracy.