1. The Christian Feminists argue that the ministries of Miriam, Deborah, Huldah, and Anna justify the female office.
Ans. Their ministries were exceptional. Dabney, Discussions Vol. 2, “The Public Preaching of Women”,
“Elijah, in his civic relation to the kingdom of the ten tribes, would have been but a private citizen without his prophetic afflatus. By virtue of this we find him exercising the highest of the regal functions (1 Kings xviii.), administering the capital penalty ordained by the law against seducers into idolatry, when he sentenced the priests of Baal and ordered their execution. But it would be a most dangerous inference to argue hence, that any other private citizen, if moved by pious zeal, might usurp the punitive functions of the public magistrate.”
Moreover, if what the Feminists teach is true then women should have been allowed in the Levitical Priesthood at this time. But they were not.
2. The Christian Feminists argue from 1 Cor. 11:5 But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying disgraces her head, for she is one and the same as the woman whose head is shaved that the prophesying mentioned here directly denotes the public ministry of women!
Ans. This prophesying refers to praying publicly and singing publicly as in the prophesying in the Temple:
1 Chron. 25: 1 Moreover, David and the commanders of the army set apart for the service some of the sons of Asaph and of Heman and of Jeduthun, who were to prophesy with lyres, harps and cymbals; and the number of those who performed their service was: 2 Of the sons of Asaph: Zaccur, Joseph, Nethaniah and Asharelah; the sons of Asaph were under the direction of Asaph, who prophesied under the direction of the king.
To assert such an argument would make Paul a madman as he would write just three chapters later to the same church in the same epistle:
1 Cor. 14: 34 The women are to keep silent in the churches; for they are not permitted to speak, but are to subject themselves, just as the Law also says. 35 If they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church. 36 Was it from you that the word of God first went forth? Or has it come to you only?
3. The Christian Feminists argue from Col. 3:11, Gal. 3:28 that racial and gender distinctions are completely voided out in the New Covenant.
Ans. This madness would require that homosexuality is not a sin which Paul makes very clear it is in Rom. 1:26-27. These passages are simply denoting that race and gender are not barriers to the gospel; that all men and women from every nation may covenant with Yahovah through the master Yeshua. The reason why this is so emphasized by Paul is the attitude Jews have towards Gentiles. Yeshua told his disciples in Matt. 28:19 to discipline all the nations, but his apostles did not believe that the nations were capable of being discipled. Even after Acts 1, when the issue of Gentile salvation began to be
discussed even past Paul’s conversion, it took Peter’s vision in Acts 10 and 11 to convince the Jewish followers of Messiah that Gentiles were coming into the Covenant with Yah through Yeshua.
4. The Christian Feminists argue that women preachers have preached the Gospel and people have been saved and their lives changed!
Ans. God blesses ministries he disapproves of.
Phil. 1: 15 Some, to be sure, are preaching Christ even from envy and strife, but some also from good will; 16 the latter do it out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the gospel; 17 the former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition rather than from pure motives, thinking to cause me distress in my imprisonment. 18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice.
In Number 23 Balaam prophesied by Yahovah, yet Yahovah did not approve of Balaam,
Revelation 2:14 But I have a few things against you, because you have there some who hold the teaching of Balaam, who kept teaching Balak to put a stumbling block before the sons of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols and to commit acts of immorality.
5. The Christian Feminists argue that they have prophetic gifts which justify their ministry.
Ans. The Prophetic Ministry has ceased:
- If you women are prophets show us the signs of a prophet. You need to do some miracles and prove your ministry as Moses did.
6. The Christian Feminists argue from their Perfectionist and Preterist Theology that it may be true that the New Testament subjugates women, however, this was due to the time of the age, and we are a more highly spiritually and technologically evolved society where more education has been available to women and the Gospel has brought us into a Utopian age of Perfection, in abstracto.
Ans. Nowhere do we read that the subjugation of woman is because she is less intelligent, less educated, less pious or less zealous. There is only a recognition of natural hierarchy in 1 Cor. 11, and 1 Tim. 2:11-13, and then by way of supplementation the woman’s deception by the serpent. All of the prescriptions for woman is that she has another role to play in society dictated by the law of God and nature, namely, her place as wife and mother in the home.
7. The New Testament is abundantly clear on the subjugation of women and the male teaching authority.
1 Tim. 2:12, 1 Cor. 11:3, 7-10, Eph 5:22-23, 1 Peter 3:5-6
8. 1 Tim. 3:2 and Titus 1:6 defines the qualifications for an elder and they are to be the husband of one wife. Not the wife of one husband.
On the issue of Woman deacons see Schwertley: